This is the standard level of coaching qualification for all club coaches at local level. The award gives a general overview of all aspects of basketball, and a basic introduction to sports coaching. Learners can expect to cover the following:
- Roles and responsibilities of the coach
- The coaching process (plan, do, review)
- Individual fundamentals
- Team fundamentals
- Developing team play
- Sports science
- Moments of the Game (Attack and Defence)
This course is specifically for individuals who have experience of coaching and are operating in a club environment.
Successful achievement of this course allows learners to coach independently. This can lead to paid or voluntary roles in the club environment. It can also lead to further learning or training in the area of coaching basketball and/or other related areas.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be appropriately identified
- Hold a level 1 basketball coach award*
- Have experience of playing basketball at local / regional / national or international level
- Be able to evidence delivering basketball coaching sessions over the past twelve months
- Have access to a minimum of a level 2 basketball coach in their club environment
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
- Have access to a laptop/tablet, good Wi-Fi and microphone to participate in virtual classroom sessions. Any special learning requirements must be made clear at the registration process
*If learners do not hold a Basketball England level 1 award but meet the remaining eligibility criteria identified above, they can be accepted onto the course. A witness statement to confirm their experience of delivering basketball coaching sessions over the past 12 months needs to be obtained by the course organiser. Details of this should submitted upon registration of the learner details. For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The course is delivered through a blended learning approach. This consists of:
- E-learning via the Basketball England e-platform
- 5 virtual classroom sessions*:
- Session 1: The Principles of Great Coaching Delivery (1.5 hours)
- Session 2 and 3: The Coaching Process (2 hours each)
- Sessions 4-5: Moments of the Game (2 hours each)
- 2 x 8 hour face to face tutored sessions (this can be delivered in two blocks or over a period of sessions)
- Completion of 4 linked and progressive coaching sessions in a club environment
- Practical assessment (in the learner’s own environment)
*Virtual classroom sessions can be delivered face to face if preferred.
Courses must be facilitated by an approved Basketball England tutor. Assessment must be conducted by an approved Basketball England assessor.
To achieve the Basketball England level 2 award, learners are required to attend all virtual classroom sessions along with the 2 x practical days and have assessed evidence of:
- Completing written and online tasks
- Planning, delivering and evaluating a minimum of 4 linked and progressive coaching sessions away from the course (each session lasting a minimum of 45 minutes in duration)
- Planning, delivering and evaluating a 45-minute coaching session in the club environment, observed by a Basketball England assessor. This can be done in situ or via video.
Learners will receive access to the following:
- Basketball England Hive platform (this will provide learners with access to their course manual and other related documents)
- Basketball England E-platform (this is where learners complete their e-learning and access their virtual classroom sessions)
If learners wish to receive hardcopy resources, this will incur an additional cost per person.
There are no minimum numbers but we would recommend no less than 8 learners and a maximum of 15 learners on a course, with 1 course tutor.
In order to ensure a positive learning environment, all venues used for the delivery of Basketball England Level 2 Coaching course are required to:
- Comply with accepted health and safety practices
- Have appropriate access arrangements
- Be conducive to learning (e.g. appropriate lighting, temperature and noise levels)
- Have access to a sports hall (with at least 2 baskets)
The standard learner fee is £72 per person, however Basketball England Members may have discount codes for 10% off. If they can provide their discount code to prove they are a member you should reduce their fee accordingly, and factor this into your costings.
- Learner access to the Basketball England platforms, identified above, along with associated resources
- Basketball England communication templates specifically for course organisers to use when communicating with the learners
- Communications to confirm learner progress via the online platform
- Learner certification
Please note, the fee excludes any tutor fees (£25 per hour), assessor fees (£35 per assessment), expenses (0.35p per mile) and venue costs.
If you would like to organise a course, please click on the below tab and fill out the course organiser request form. It is recommended that at least 3 weeks notice is provided prior to any requested course start date. You may wish to refer to the course organiser terms and conditions and FAQs on the left hand side of this page.
If you have any other questions or would like to seek further advice, please contact us (email@example.com).