This qualification is designed to provide a benefit to learners via the skills and knowledge required to enable them to develop high level basketball players through effective basketball coaching. This qualification is awarded by Basketball England and 1st4Sport qualifications The qualification is supported by the NSG for Basketball comprised of the National Governing Bodies (Basketball England, Basketball Wales and Basketball Scotland) as the trade association and employers for basketball.
This qualification is designed to prepare aspiring coaches for employment as a basketball coach in paid or voluntary roles, potentially within the elite game. It is appropriate for existing Level 2 basketball coaches wishing to develop coaching skills in basketball.
This qualification leads to paid or voluntary roles in coaching the sport of basketball in a variety
of settings including working as a head coach within a basketball club, in schools and in colleges.
-Be at least 18 years of age
-Hold a level 2 or equivalent basketball coaching qualification
-Have experience of coaching the same group of players at international level, U16 national league level, regional squad level, College AoC competition, BUCS division 1 or 2 for at least two full seasons within the past 3 years
-Be coaching and training the same team with regular training sessions and have competitive matched scheduled on a regular basis
-Be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
-Have access to a laptop, good WiFi and microphone to participate in virtual classroom sessions. Any special learning requirements must be made clear at the registration process
*Please note, if coaching in a university environment, coaches must be coaching in BUCS division 1 or 2 to be eligible.
To achieve the qualification, learners are required to have, in summary, assessed evidence of:
- The production of a performance profile for a minimum of three players or a team in basketball.
- The design and planning of a basketball coaching programme for a minimum of three players or a team, which should be based upon the outcome of the performance profile(s) developed.
- The production of a detailed plan of a discrete cycle or phase (minimum of eight weeks) associated with an aspect of the basketball coaching programme
- The production of a minimum of eight weeks of coaching session plans within the discrete cycle or phase (minimum of eight weeks) associated with an aspect of the basketball coaching programme
- The production of a recorded plan for the ongoing evaluation of the basketball coaching programme
- The production of a recorded plan for the ongoing performance and/or development review for either three players or a team; the plan should identify the methodology and timings for the ongoing review
- The delivery of a minimum of eight weeks of basketball coaching sessions within the discrete cycle or phase (minimum of eight weeks) associated with an aspect of the basketball coaching programme
- Submit a video to include individual skill, team defence formation, team offence formation. This video will be required prior any assessment being conducted
- The delivery of a minimum of two basketball coaching sessions, which must be observed by an appropriately qualified assessor on separate occasions. One session must be a training session and the other session, a competitive game.
The level 3 course will be delivered virtually. Learners will have access to the Basketball England e-learning platform to complete a series of learning tasks along with the 1st4Sport platform to complete qualification portfolio tasks. Virtual classroom sessions will take place on a minimum of 4 occasions and will last for 3 hours in duration (each). Please click on the image below for further information.
The course will cost £635 per person. This includes assessor fees up to a 50-mile round trip on both assessment occasions. If the assessor is required to travel further, additional mileage fees will need to be covered by the learner at a fee of 35p per mile.
Payment plans are available to support individuals to pay for this course. If you decide to go ahead with a payment plan, please pay 50% of the course fee below to secure your place and we will then contact you to arrange the next payment.
If you wish to pay in full, you will find an option to pay 100% of the course fee below.
Applications are currently open, for our next course.
- London- Practical days are Friday 13th October and Friday 20th October. 9-5pm both days. The venue is the Regal Court, Black Prince Trust, Beauford Walk, London SE11 6AA.
Virtual classrooms for this course will be:
- Monday 16th October 7-9pm
- Thursday 19th October 7-9pm
- Monday 23rd October 7-9pm
- Thursday 26th October 7-9pm
- Monday 6th November 7-9pm
- Thursday 9th November 7-9pm
Applications for this course close on Friday 21st September at 5pm