We work in partnership with Basketball England to support the coordination of the Introduction to Basketball Coaching Award.
This course has been developed to provide learners with the confidence to deliver safe, fun and inclusive basketball sessions under the supervision of an independent coach.
The course has 6 hours of contact time with a Basketball England tutor and also incorporates e-learning (approximately 3 hours).
At the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Identify the roles and responsibilities of the Coach Assistant
- Identify how to create a great participant experience in Basketball
- Identify the basic principles of the game
- Identify the core skills needed to play the game
- Develop ideas on how to deliver safe, fun and relevant games
- Have confidence to deliver to small groups
Individuals who usually attend this course are:
- Aspiring coaches
- Parent helpers
- Coaches in other sports
- Physical activity leaders
It may also be suitable for Teaching Assistants or Teachers along with ex-players who have no coaching experience. Teaching Assistants and Teachers may wish to access the Introduction to Teaching Basketball Primary or Secondary when these are available.
The course has an accessible learning format consisting of:
- E-learning (approximately 3 hours)
- Virtual classroom (2 hours)
- Face to face learning (4 hours)
The usual format of the course is as follows:
Learners will be required to complete all elements in order to receive their certificate. Learners are usually given 2 weeks from the final contact day with the course tutor to complete their e-learning. Additional time can be requested under mitigating / special circumstances.
Virtual classroom sessions can be translated into face to face learning if required. The learning programme would need to be adjusted accordingly. Please contact us if this is something you wish to discuss or identify this via the booking form so we can support you.
- Be at least 14 years of age
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
It is recommended that learners have access to a mentor to support their development as a Coach Assistant. It is advised that the mentor is a recognised independent coach or qualified teacher.
A sports hall is needed with a minimum of 2 baskets.
There is no minimum requirement for learner numbers but we would advise operating with no less than 8 learners and a maximum of 18 learners per course.
The standard learner fee is £55 per person, however Basketball England Members may have discount codes for 10% off. If they can provide their discount code to prove they are a member you should reduce their fee accordingly, and factor this into your costings.
Please note, the fee excludes any tutor fees (£25 per hour) expenses (0.35p per mile) and venue costs.
Learners will receive access to the following:
- Basketball England Hive platform (this will provide learners with access to course related documents)
- Basketball England E-platform (this is where learners complete their e-learning)
We will provide course organisers with learner progress updates in relation to e-learning.
If you would like to organise a course, please click on the below tab and fill out the course organiser request form. It is recommended that at least 10 working days notice is provided prior to any requested course start date. You may wish to refer to the course organiser terms and conditions and FAQs on the left hand side of this page.
If you have any other questions or would like to seek further advice, please contact us (email@example.com).