Anyone can be affected by a mental health condition either themselves or a family member, friend or colleague.
This online course is aimed at providing learners with the knowledge to identify suspected mental health conditions and the skills to start a conversation and be able to signpost the person towards professional help.
By the end of the course, learners will be able to:
- Know what mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a First Aider for mental health
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a mental health condition
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Know how to recognise a range of mental health conditions
Who is the course for?
- Coaches and volunteers in sport
- Those delivering physical activity sessions
- Local community activators (working for example in disabled people’s organisations, community interest charities, housing sector and scout/guide groups )
- Health and care professionals
- Employees in a work place environment
What’s the value of this course?
Undertaking a first aid for mental health course gives a deeper understanding of the mental health issues that surround us everyday. One in four people suffer from a mental health condition and therefore understanding how to recognise the signs and symptoms, be able to start a conversation about it and knowing where to signpost to professional help is vital.
Just like physical first aid we may often be the first person around when someone reaches a crisis point so having the skills and understanding in this situation can be lifesaving.
This course will provide you with an understanding of identifying mental health conditions. You will also receive a course e-book to support your knowledge and understanding.
This course is available via two pathways, both delivered virtually. Learners must choose at least one pathway when selecting their ticket:
Pathway 1: Non-Regulated
This is a non-regulated course and certification is awarded by Sport Structures. The duration of the course is 3 hours, which is often split into 2 course sessions or one block of learning. This is often the most popular pathway.
Pathway 2: Regulated Qualification
This involves registration with an awarding organisation. Learners will complete the same learning format as the non-regulated pathway but will then be required to have a professional discussion with the assessor. Again, this will be completed virtually. Once achieved, this qualification is then valid for three years from the date of achievement and it is recommended that the learner attends annual refresher training. The learner will need to complete the full course again to requalify for a further three years.
Learners need to be a minimum of 14 years of age.
Format / duration:
This course will be delivered through a virtual classroom format. The timings are dependent on the pathway you choose:
- 3 hours for the non regulated pathway
- 4 hours for the regulated pathway
Fees start from £35 per person for the non regulated pathway and £70 per person for the regulated pathway.
In order to access this course online via a virtual classroom, learners will be required to:
- Have access to a laptop or tablet. A smartphone device is accepted but functionality can be limited. The device must have access to a microphone as the sessions will be interactive.
- Have good WIFI access
- Have access to an environment with limited distractions which is conducive to learning
- Be able to log into the workshop 10 minutes ahead of the designated start time.
If you have any additional learning needs, please let us know when registering for the workshop so we can support you.
Learners who choose the regulated qualification could progress to the FAA Level 2 Award in First Aid for Mental Health (RQF). Learners who choose the non regulated pathway can progress onto achieving the qualification.
The registration of interest process is free. Your payment details are not required. You will be asked to complete your 'booking' details but this will simply be to register your interest and not book onto a workshop.
This course is delivered in partnership with Sport Birmingham, Together Active and Think Active.
This course can also be delivered to organisations that have cohorts of learners. The timings can be flexible according to the needs of the group.
Would you like further information?
Please email us at email@example.com
Our next cohort dates are to be confirmed.