This qualification is designed to prepare learners for deployment as independent positional coaches within an American Football programme. The award gives an overview of the foundations of sports coaching and a focus on the core fundamentals within the sport. Learners can expect to cover the following:
- The Coaching Process
- Roles and responsibilities of the coach
- Duty of care
- Nutrition and hydration
- Inclusive coaching practice
- Coaching styles and participant development
- Rules and regulations
- Continual Learning & Development
- Classroom Delivery – Scouting Breakdown
- Practice Planning
- Safe coaching practice
Who is the course for?
This course is specifically for individuals who have experience of coaching and are operating in a club environment. Please see eligibility criteria for further information.
What’s the value of this course?
This course is ideal for learners who are seeking to move into Head Coaching positions (Level 2 minimum requirement) and for those seeking to develop into coaching positions within BAFA’s National Programmes.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be appropriately identified
- Hold a BAFCA level 1 coaching award
- Have experience of playing American Football at local / regional / national or international level
- Be able to evidence delivering American Football coaching sessions over the past twelve months
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
- Have access to a laptop/tablet, good WiFi and microphone to participate in virtual classroom sessions. Any special learning requirements must be made clear at the registration process.
- Complete all prerequisites for the course
- USA Football Youth Coach Certification - https://usafootball.com/development-training/certification/
- Team USA Foundations of Coaching - https://learn.teamusa.org/training/index
- Safeguarding – If you do not have a valid certificate, we offer Safeguarding courses which can be found here. Valid safeguarding certificates from other providers will also be accepted. This will need to be completed prior to certification of the course, not registration.
- Basic First Aid Qualification - If you do not have a valid certificate, we offer First Aid courses which can be found here. Valid First Aid certificates from other providers will also be accepted. This will need to be completed prior to certification of the course, not registration.
To achieve the British American Football Coaches Association level 2 award, learners are required to have assessed evidence of:
- Completing all prerequisites for the course
- Completing written and online tasks
- Completing an online test associated with the content covered on course
- Planning, delivering and evaluating a minimum of 4 linked and progressive coaching sessions away from the course
- The final day of the course involves assessment of coaching practice for 2 progressive coaching session, along with a core fundamentals session
Format / duration
The course has flexible delivery model. In order to meet qualification requirements, we deliver this qualification through face to face tutored sessions or blended delivery (online and face to face).
Our open courses below are delivered through a blended delivery approach. This consists of:
- Online learning via our e-learning platform ahead of the virtual classroom sessions
- Online Assessment Questions
- 2 x 2-hour virtual classroom sessions with an experienced tutor
- Completion of 4 linked and progressive coaching sessions in a club environment
- 1 assessment day
This course can lead to further learning, CPD or training in the area of coaching American Football and/or the progression onto the British American Football Coaches Association Level 3 certification.
The cost of the course is £125 per person.
Should you wish to pay via invoice, please enter the word INVOICE at the checkout. Please be aware we only invoice organisations, not individuals.
Registration of interest
This process is available to determine demand. Further courses will be organised if demand exists so we would strongly recommend that you register your interest.
The registration of interest process is free. Your payment details are not required. You will be asked to complete your 'booking' details, but this will simply be to register your interest and not book onto a course.
Course 4: Online learning to be completed between 31st May - 20th June. Virtual classroom sessions will take place on Wednesday 2nd June and Wednesday 16th June (7-9pm). Practical day TBC.
Course 5: Online learning to be completed between 5th July - 25th July. Virtual classroom sessions will take place on Wednesday 7th July and Wednesday 21st July (7-9pm). Practical day TBC.
*If no courses are available, please register your interest and we will email you when new dates are released*
Would you like further information?
The course can also be delivered face to face, to specific groups such as universities, coaching providers etc.