This is the standard level of coaching qualification for all club coaches at local level. The award gives a general overview of all aspects of basketball, and a basic introduction to sports coaching. Learners can expect to cover the following:
- Roles and responsibilities of the coach
- The coaching process (plan, do, review)
- Individual fundamentals
- Team fundamentals
- Developing team play
- Sports science
- Moments of the Game (Attack and Defence)
Who is the course for?
This course is specifically for individuals who have experience of coaching and are operating in a club environment.
Successful achievement of this course allows learners to coach independently. This can lead to paid or voluntary roles in the club environment. It can also lead to further learning or training in the area of coaching basketball and/or other related areas.
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be appropriately identified
- Hold a level 1 basketball coach award*
- Have experience of playing basketball at local / regional / national or international level
- Be able to evidence delivering basketball coaching sessions over the past twelve months
- Have access to a minimum of a level 2 basketball coach in their club environment.
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
- Have access to a laptop/tablet, good Wi-Fi and microphone to participate in virtual classroom sessions. Any special learning requirements must be made clear at the registration process
**If learners do not hold a Basketball England level 1 award but meet the remaining eligibility criteria identified above, they can be accepted onto the course. A witness statement must be obtained by a coach in their club to confirm their experience of delivering basketball coaching sessions over the past 12 months. Details of this should submitted upon registration of the learner details. For questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the format / duration of the course?
The course is delivered through a blended learning approach. This consists of:
- E-learning via the Basketball England e-platform
- 5 virtual classroom sessions:
- Session 1: The Principles of Great Coaching Delivery (1.5 hours)
- Session 2 and 3: The Coaching Process (2 hours each)
- Sessions 4-5: Moments of the Game (2 hours each)
- 2 x face to face tutored sessions at a regional venue, facilitated by a Basketball England tutor
- Completion of 4 linked and progressive coaching sessions in a club environment (supported by a mentor)
- Practical assessment (in your club environment by an approved Basketball England assessor). Assessor expenses will be covered up to a 50 mile round trip.
To achieve the Basketball England level 2 award, learners are required to attend all virtual classroom sessions along with the practical day and have assessed evidence of:
- Completing written and online tasks
- Completing an online test associated with the content covered on course
- Planning, delivering and evaluating a minimum of 4 linked and progressive coaching sessions away from the course (each session lasting a minimum of 45 minutes in duration)
- Planning, delivering and evaluating a 45 minute coaching session in the club environment, observed by a Basketball England assessor
This course can lead to further learning or training in the area of coaching basketball and/or other related areas. Learners may wish to consider the 1st4Sport Level 3 Certificate in Coaching Basketball.
Would you like further information?
Please email us at email@example.com.
Should you wish to pay via invoice, please enter the word INVOICE at the checkout. Please be aware we only invoice organisations, not individuals.
Registration of interest
This process is available to determine demand. Further courses will be organised if demand exists so we would strongly recommend that you register your interest.
The registration of interest process is free. Your payment details are not required. You will be asked to complete your 'booking' details but this will simply be to register your interest and not book onto a course.
*If no courses are available, please register your interest and we will email you when new dates are released*