This qualification is designed to prepare aspiring coaches for employment as a basketball coach in paid or voluntary roles, potentially within the elite game. This qualification is awarded by Basketball England and 1st4Sport qualifications The qualification is supported by the NSG for Basketball comprised of the National Governing Bodies (Basketball England, Basketball Wales and Basketball Scotland) as the trade association and employers for basketball.
Who is the course for?
The qualification is designed for any existing Level 2 basketball coaches wishing to develop coaching skills in basketball.
What’s the value of this course?
This qualification leads to paid or voluntary roles in coaching the sport of basketball in a variety
of settings including working as a head coach within a basketball club, in schools and in colleges.
-Be at least 18 years of age
-Hold a level 2 or equivalent basketball coaching qualification
-Have experience of coaching the same group of players at international level, U16 national league level, regional squad level, College AoC competition, BUCS division 1 or 2 for at least two full seasons within the past 3 years
-Be coaching and training the same team with regular training sessions and have competitive matched scheduled on a regular basis
-Be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking, reading and writing).
-Have access to a laptop, good WiFi and microphone to participate in virtual classroom sessions. Any special learning requirements must be made clear at the registration process
*Please note, if coaching in a university environment, coaches must be coaching in BUCS division 1 or 2 to be eligible.
To achieve the qualification, learners are required to have, in summary, assessed evidence of:
- The production of a performance profile for a minimum of three players or a team in basketball.
- The design and planning of a basketball coaching programme for a minimum of three players or a team, which should be based upon the outcome of the performance profile(s) developed.
- The production of a detailed plan of a discrete cycle or phase (minimum of eight weeks) associated with an aspect of the basketball coaching programme
- The production of a minimum of eight weeks of coaching session plans within the discrete cycle or phase (minimum of eight weeks) associated with an aspect of the basketball coaching programme
- The production of a recorded plan for the ongoing evaluation of the basketball coaching programme
- The production of a recorded plan for the ongoing performance and/or development review for either three players or a team; the plan should identify the methodology and timings for the ongoing review
- The delivery of a minimum of eight weeks of basketball coaching sessions within the discrete cycle or phase (minimum of eight weeks) associated with an aspect of the basketball coaching programme
- Submit a video to include individual skill, team defence formation, team offence formation. This video will be required prior any assessment being conducted
- The delivery of a minimum of two basketball coaching sessions, which must be observed by an appropriately qualified assessor on separate occasions. One session must be a training session and the other session, a competitive game.
The level 3 course will be delivered virtually. Learners will have access to the Basketball England e-learning platform to complete a series of learning tasks along with the 1st4Sport platform to complete qualification portfolio tasks. Virtual classroom sessions will take place on a minimum of 4 occasions and will last for 3 hours in duration (each). Please click on the image below for further information.
The course will cost £525 per person. This includes assessor fees up to a 50-mile round trip on both assessment occasions. If the assessor is required to travel further, additional mileage fees will need to be covered by the learner at a fee of 35p per mile.
Full payment will need to be received prior to starting the course once your place is confirmed.
Applications for the next Level 3 course are now open. Please complete the below form by selecting a ticket option to complete the form online.
The deadline for applications is Monday 11th October, 5pm.
All learners will be contacted to confirm if they have secured a place.