This course focuses on the skills and competences required to be able to plan, deliver and review a series of linked and progressive sport and physical activity coaching sessions, either working independently (if over the age of 18) or as part of a coaching team. Coaching topics include (list not exhaustive):
- Rules and regulations
- Duty of Care
- Roles and Responsibilities of the Coach
- Inclusive Coaching Practice
- Nutrition and Hydration
- Coaching Styles and Participant Development
- Safe Coaching Practice
Who is the course for?
- For those who wish to become involved in coaching, and to have responsibility for the planning, delivery, and evaluation of linked and progressive coaching sessions.
- For those that are currently operating unqualified and wish to gain recognition of their coaching practice
- For those that wish to improve their generic coaching skills
Prior to registration learners are required to:
- Be appropriately identified
- Be at least 14 years of age
- Be able to communicate effectively in English (this includes listening, speaking reading and writing)
- Have access to a laptop and good WiFi to complete the e-learning modules. Any special learning requirements must be made clear at the registration process.
This course is available via two pathways, both delivered virtually and via remote learning. Learners must choose at least one pathway:
Pathway 1: Non-Regulated
This is a non-regulated course and certification is awarded by Sport Structures. There are a series of e-learning modules to complete which involve a number of interactive tasks to support your knowledge and understanding.
The cost for this option is £45 and learners have 2 months from registration to complete the e-learning. If after completing the course, learners wished to upgrade to gain the regulated qualification, this would cost an additional £150.
Pathway 2: Regulated Qualification
This involves registration onto the 1st4Sport Level 2 Certificate in Coaching (Sport and Physical Activity) qualification. Learners will be required to:
- Phase 1: Complete e-learning modules and tasks within their qualification portfolio. This will involve planning 4 linked and progressive sessions in their own environment
- Phase 2: Deliver 2 x 20-minute physical activity /sport sessions in their own environment. These should be videoed and sent to us for assessment.
Registration is valid for a 2-year period. Therefore, learners could complete phase 1 initially and then progress onto phase 2 when appropriate. Re-assessment fees would be applicable if learners were deemed not yet competent in phase 2. The cost for this pathway is £180.
What is the value of the course?
If learners choose to take pathway 1, this will support their knowledge of generic coaching skills which can be applicable to any sport. The course will support their knowledge and understanding should they wish to take a sports specific qualification (i.e. badminton level 2) in the future.
If learners choose pathway 2, the qualification may lead to paid or voluntary roles in coaching sport and physical activity, working as a coach possibly within a holiday play scheme or a sports club environment. The qualification is also recognised as the industry standard level 2 qualification for coaches by UK Coaching and maps the CIMSPA professional standard of Coach. Learners should be able to approach their National Governing Body and see if they would accept recognition of prior learning – meaning that if you wanted to attend a level 2 sport specific course, the course may be shortened to recognise the learning that you have already covered. The qualification is also endorsed by the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA).
We have identified that sessions can videoed to support accessibility. If this option does not suit you, we can request an assessor to attend your environment such as club/school etc. This will incur an additional charge.
Should you wish to pay by invoice, please enter the word INVOICE at the checkout. Please be aware we are only able to invoice organisations, not individuals.
The registration of interest process is free. Your payment details are not required. You will be asked to complete your 'booking' details but this will simply be to register your interest and not book onto a course.
Would you like further information?
The course can be delivered to specific groups such as schools, colleges etc. We are also able to deliver this course in face to face and blended learning formats.
For specific questions, please email us at Education@sportstructures.com